If you have trouble reading online, learn how to make your computer speak back to you.
Macintosh VoiceOver Utility
Ontario.ca is a speech-enabled website that uses Browsealoud, free software for people who have difficulty reading online. This includes people with mild visual impairment, people who speak English or French as a second language, or people with dyslexia or learning disabilities.
- Follow the simple steps to download and install Browsealoud.
- Once installed, as your mouse pointer moves over the words on a web page, they are spoken out loud. For most browsers, you can also choose to have the text highlighted as it is read. Or, you can ask Browsealoud to read a complete page to you. To stop the reader at any point, just press the Ctrl key on the keyboard.
- For detailed instructions, visit the Browsealoud website.
Windows Narrator is a basic screen-reading program. The program gives speech feedback for menus and dialogue boxes. It does not speak out the whole web page.
- Click the Start button or press the Windows logo key on your keyboard.
- Open Programs. Click All Programs or press P on the keyboard until All Programs is highlighted and press Enter.
- Click Accessories or press A on the keyboard until Accessories is highlighted and press Enter.
- Click Accessibility. If you are using the keyboard, it will already be highlighted, press Enter.
- Click Narrator or press N on the keyboard until Narrator is highlighted, press Enter.
- This opens the Microsoft Narrator box. The Narrator immediately begins to read instructions on how to use the feature.
- Click OK or press Enter on the keyboard. Another window will appear with various options. Click the checkbox or press the spacebar on your keyboard to customize your options. You can also adjust voice settings by clicking the Voice button or pressing V on the keyboard.
VoiceOver Utility is a screen-reading program built into the latest versions (OS 10.4 and 10.5) of Apple Macintosh Operating Systems. It provides speech feedback for menus and dialogue boxes and can speak out whole web pages once configured.
- Visit the VoiceOver website for more information about VoiceOver utility
- Visit the VoiceOver download section for an accessible PDF manual or audio recordings of the “Getting Started” manual for VoiceOver Utility.