Support to Non-Employment Insurance Eligible Apprentices During In-School Training
This initiative will provide up to $1500 of taxable financial supports for apprentices who are not eligible for federal Employment Insurance (EI) who attend full time in-school training at a Delivery Agency approved by the Ministry of Training Colleges and Universities.
This initiative is designed to:
- Encourage Non-EI eligible apprentices to participate and complete their in-school training.
- Demonstrate the government's commitment to training and the importance of skilled workers to Ontario's economy.
Who can participate?
You must meet these eligibility requirements:
- be out of high school.
- have completed a level of school full-time apprenticeship in-school training at an approved MTCU Training Delivery Agent on or after January 1, 2010 while being registered as an Ontario apprentice without being eligible for Employment Insurance benefits for the duration of the level of in-school training.
Excludes individuals who:
- are completed apprentices who are in default of an Ontario Student loan or a Loans for Tools loan.
- are registered in the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program.
- complete a level of in-school training in a way other than by attending school full- time.
- are Registered in the Pre-Apprenticeship Training Program.
- received a wage from their employer while they attended school training.
- received Basic Living Allowance while they attended school training.
- attended Water Meter Installer (800A) in-school training as this is classified as a “skill set” rather than an apprenticeship program.
How can I get this service?
The ministry will mail to eligible apprentices an application form to complete indicating their eligibility for the bonus.
- Apprentices who have completed their training from January 1, 2010 to April 30, 2010 will have 180 days from the date on the application letter to return their application to MTCU. These clients must include a Record of Employment for the time enrolled in the level of in-school training or a copy of their Notice of Non-EI Eligibility from Service Canada with their application.
- Apprentices who have completed their training after April 30, 2010 will have 180 days from the date of their training completion to return their application to MTCU. These clients must include a copy of their Notice of Non-EI Eligibility from Service Canada in their application.
- Any application received after the 180-day time limit will not be eligible for the support.
For more information
Contact the toll-free Employment Ontario Hotline at 1-800-387-5656, TTY (telephone service for the hearing impaired) 1-866-533-6339 for the phone number and location of the apprenticeship office in your area. Any individual can ask for this information in the language of their choice.