Ontario Bridge Training Program (OBTP)
The Ontario Bridge Training Program (OBTP) is designed to help internationally trained immigrants (ITIs) get employment in the field in which they were trained or in a related field without duplicating their existing skills and education. The program targets regulated and non-regulated high-skill occupations. OBTP projects deliver targeted and short-term training to help participants meet requirements for licensure and/or registration in regulated professions, and employer needs in non-regulated, high-skill occupations.
Request for Applications (RFA) 2021
The ministry is interested in applications that fall under any of the two project categories:
- Category A: Service Delivery Projects
- Category B: Changing the System Projects
Applications serving all sectors with a proven labour market need will be reviewed and evaluated. However, given that the COVID-19 pandemic has presented Ontario’s labour market with specific challenges in both the healthcare and essential services sectors, in the selection process the ministry will give priority to applications intended to serve occupations having a direct contribution toward addressing the pandemic, e.g., healthcare occupations (NOC 3), cyber-security occupations (NOC 217 and 228). For more information on the definition and applications of the National Occupational Code (NOC), please visit the Government of Canada’s website.
The ministry is also interested in receiving applications under the following areas of focus:
- Projects that prepare eligible, highly skilled ITIs qualified in occupations with low demand labour market opportunities to transfer their skills and experience into commensurate employment in alternative careers.
- Projects that investigate and establish opportunities to engage employers in smaller, rural and remote communities to promote the workforce integration of ITIs.
- Projects that prepare highly skilled Francophone ITIs for employment in bilingual (English and French) positions in Ontario.
More details on the project categories and focus areas are provided in the OBTP RFA application materials on the Transfer Payment Ontario platform.
Announcement Date: February 16, 2021
Closing Date: no later than 5:00 p.m. on April 30, 2021
Prospective applicants should apply for the RFA through Transfer Payment Ontario here:
To request further information on the 2021 OBTP RFA, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions are to be submitted no later than March 5, 2021. The ministry will post a Question and Answer document on the Employment Ontario Partners’ Gateway on March 19, 2021 addressing the questions received.
Previous Call for Proposals
- Memo: Expiration of Ontario Bridge Training Program projects on September 30, 2021 (posted on August 30, 2021) (PDF, 93 KB)
- Memo: 2021-2022 Monitoring of Employment Ontario Transfer Payment Agreements (posted on June 21, 2021) (PDF, 170 KB)
- Memo: Access to Employment Ontario Programs for Individuals with 900-Series Social Insurance Numbers (posted on June 18, 2021) (PDF, 110 KB)
- Memo: Ongoing Availability of Emergency Response Funding in 2021-2022 (posted on May 28, 2021) (PDF, 105 KB)
- Memo: 2020-2021 Year-End Financial Reporting Requirements (posted on May 19, 2021) (PDF, 114 KB)
- Memo: Submitting a Certificate of Insurance or Other Similar Proof to the Ministry (posted on April 29, 2021) (PDF, 117 KB)
- Memo: 2021-2022 Employment Ontario Transfer Payment Agreements (posted on March 30, 2021) (PDF, 111 KB)
- Memo: Webinar for Upcoming Ontario Bridge Training Program Request for Applications (posted on February 4, 2021) (PDF, 126 KB)
- Memo: EO Transfer Payment Use of Funds (posted on February 2, 2021) (PDF, 108 KB)
- Memo: 2020-2021 Monitoring of Employment Ontario Transfer Payment Agreements (posted on November 10, 2020) (PDF, 167 KB)
- Memo: Six-month contract extension for Ontario Bridge Training Programs (OBTP) projects (posted on August 27, 2020) (PDF, 104 KB)
- Memo: Submission of Reports in Schedule F of the Ontario Bridge Training Program Agreement (posted on August 26, 2020) (PDF, 93 KB)
- Memo to EO Network: Amendments to the Ontario Bridge Training Program transfer payment agreement (posted on February 14, 2020) (PDF, 184 KB)
- Memo to the Ontario Bridge Training Program Network: Employment Ontario’s New Program (posted on April 3, 2019) (PDF, 131 KB)
- ADM memo to EO network: Ontario Bridge Training Program and Global Experience Ontario (posted on April 2, 2019) (PDF, 131 KB)
- Memo to Bridge Training, Immigration and Settlement Stakeholders (posted on November 23, 2018) (PDF, 243 KB)
Questions and Answers