Private Bills

Private Bills are bills to introduce legislation that grants special powers or exemptions from the general law to private entities and originate with a municipality, company or individual seeking the special power or exemption. A private bill must be introduced in the Legislative Assembly by a Private Member, i.e., one who is not a Cabinet Minister. (Note: A Public Bill pertains to matters of public policy and are initiated by Cabinet Ministers, private members, or committees.)

After First Reading, a private bill is referred to the Standing Committee on Regulations and Private Bills. It has been the practice of the Standing Committee to seek input from the Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Development with regard to Private Bills that relate to matters falling under the ministry's areas of responsibility.

If you are considering seeking a private bill pursuant to the Act, you are advised to contact the Universities Branch of the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development at 416-325-1953.