Degree Authority in Ontario

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How would I obtain the authority to advertise or offer a degree program, or use the term "university" in Ontario?

A: These activities require the consent of the Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities. Review the legislation, regulations, the Minister's Guidelines, and the requirements of the Postsecondary Education Quality Assessment Board. If you have questions, contact the Universities Branch of the ministry at 416‑325‑1953.

Q: Are there costs associated wth an application for consent?

A: Yes. The application fee is $5,000.00, and the costs of the assessment conducted by the Postsecondary Education Quality Assessment Board (PEQAB) will vary depending on the complexity of the application and whether an organization review is required. Refer to the PEQAB website for more information on assessment costs.

Q: I'm considering enrolling in a degree program that I saw advertised, but I don't see the degree program listed on your website. How can I confirm that the organization is authorized to offer the program in Ontario?

A: The organizations with degree authority in Ontario are included on this web page. If you don't see the program you're interested in, contact the Universities Branch of the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities at 416‑325‑1953.